Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Wauwinet in Nantucket


The Wauwinet in Nantucket...it's New England's version of paradise. The crisp white wicker chairs on the lawn, the perfectly manicured lawns, the casual chic ambience and, most of all, the world-class service all conspire to make this the ultimate Nantucket hotel.

I spent the afternoon sitting on one of their plush lawn chairs overlooking the water with a warm fleece blanket and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Drinks were served on the lawn using large elegant trays, ladies wore straw hats, the grass was as green as grass gets, the flowers were in bloom...like I said, heavenly!

But after a few days even the most pristine setting can bcome a little stale without a few fun activities on the program, and the staff at the Wauwinet has thought of it all! From bike riding to tennis my favorite activity was the tour of the island aboard the "woody" a vintage car (the antique Chevy is pictured below). Our guide was exceptionally knowledgeable about the area, I especially enjoyed our tour of Sconset village.

Complimentary amenities include: jitney service to and from Nantucket downtown, boat rides into town aboard the Wauwinet lady, continental breakfast, port and cheese in the afternoons (a delightful touch) and bicycles.

It may look like a simple country home from the outside, but I can assure you that this Relais & Chateaux property is extravagant in spite of its comfortably chic allure. No detail is left unattended to and personal touches are everywhere.

I could end my review here, but that just wouldn't be right. Of all the amazing amenities at the property there is one that far outshines the rest and that would be the Concierge: Jordana Fleischut. I've been to a lot of hotels and some very nice ones at that, but I've yet to find somebody as professional, as helpful and as passionate about giving the guests the perfect trip. She went out of her way to help me with arranging transportation back home, no request was too great or too small and she made my stay one of the most enjoyable ever- I was so moved I had to give her a hug before leaving. She is, without a doubt, the crowning jewel of the Wauwinet.



An aerial view of the property...


Those heavenly lawn chairs...



The grounds at dusk are simply magnificent!

The infamous "woody"






The gounds are spectacular...the perfect place for an afternoon drink




I could gush about The Wauwinet for another five paragraphs but you get the gist...if you are going to Nantucket then stay at the Wauwinet...it is THE hotel on the island...